Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Oma and Opa

Dear Oma and Opa,

Did you see D and I at the cemetery this morning? We came and visited for the first time in a long time. I loved being there. Its probably one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. I imagine all National Military Cemeteries are like that.

Its hard for me to go there because I can't help but remember the days that we placed each one of you there. I remember the days so clearly - makes me just want to lay on top of the grass right there to be as close as possible to you. I can't forget the fresh dirt and all the beautiful flowers on those days. Now your headstone is one of the older ones in your section. You are 3 rows deep...I remember when you were in the front row.

It makes me so proud to read the words on the headstone. To me, you were always, "Oma and Opa," but to the rest of our country, you were heroes. Two wars and a whole career with the Army. That is something to be proud of for sure. I am so proud to be your granddaughter. Proud to be standing at your headstone.

Its been about 3 years since I've been there and of course, little D has never been. Isn't he beautiful? He is actually my youngest of two. C is 4 years old now. You would have loved her like crazy. She's incredibly hilarious and smart!

You wouldn't believe where the Army has moved us...just a mere 13 miles from your old house! I can't believe after driving 10 hours to come visit you for my entire childhood, I now live close enough to have lunch with you. Its crazy that God has placed us so close to you now that you're gone. I wish you were still there so badly. I'd be at your house all the time. I sure could use one of your home cooked meals every once in a while. I would give anything just for one fun filled day sitting at your house swinging on your back porch swing and visiting. I imagine my own children would have liked walking on the little "sidewalk" of pavers around your flower garden just like my sisters and I did. Or sitting in the dining room chatting with Opa while he sat in the back corner of the table - you know the spot. All wedged in between the china cabinet and the table. I wish I could use your tiny bathroom. C would have loved all the pink and roses in there. And of course, your favorite spot, the back patio. I sure do miss sitting out there with the heaters on in the winter. I remember trying on all your shoes lined up there by the door. My memories in that house are so vivid. I can't believe its been almost 7 years since I've been inside.

I don't mean to ramble. I just miss you guys. I wish you could see my children. You would love them so much. You'd be so proud of my husband for doing so well in the Army. You'd love seeing my parents as grandparents. They go by, "Omi and Opa."

I hope you hear me, somewhere out there. I like to think you're looking down on me, but truthfully, I don't know if that is how it all works. I will be back to visit the cemetery again sometime sooner rather than later. I am so glad that I am close to that too. If I can't have lunch with you in your kitchen, at least I can run my fingers along the words on your headstone and place my hands on the grass were you are buried. I love you more that you know. I miss you so very much.

Love Always,
Your Oldest Granddaughter


4 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that they are watching over you now...that you felt their presence today. And those memories you have of their house will only grow stronger with each year. One day, Callie and David will love hearing all about them. I love you and thank you for visiting with them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great-grandparents are buried in Arlington and it is just a beautiful cemetery. So peaceful. I love visiting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful testament! You've made me cry!

    ReplyDelete