Friday, September 10, 2010

That "at home" feeling

Some places just make me feel "at home." Certainly, being at home where I grew up gives me that feeling. I've also come to learn that going somewhere familiar does the same thing. I guess I kind of like going to places that are the same no matter what city I visit/live in - can we say Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel? Each one looks exactly the same!!! Too bad the Chick-Fil-A here is about 25 minutes from my house and I still have yet to find a Cracker Barrel.

In the past, I have usually gotten good "at home" vibes when visiting a new church and singing songs that I sang at my previous church. I remember the first day I visited a church in Johnson City, TN, I bawled through the whole first song since they sang, "Holy Holy Holy," a song my church back in Atlanta had just sang before we moved. I took it as a sign to chose that church as our new home church :-)

Since moving here last month, I truly haven't felt very "at home." I have gone to the Chick-Fil-A and I have visited some churches but nowhere has given me THAT feeling yet. I even went to my new MOPS group and though I met two women that I believe will become good friends, it still didn't feel just right quite yet. I felt like such an outsider. I cried on the way home as I thought about my old MOPS group carrying on without me this Fall. I wished I was there.

I have faith that God hears even our unspoken prayers. He knew how I had felt in each new situation. He knew what my heart longed for...

This week He answered that unspoken (and rather even un-thought) prayer. I attended the Fall Kick-Off event with PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel). Since it was a Kick-Off event, I knew I wouldn't be the only new person there. After dropping D off in the nursery, I signed in and was greeted by a whole team of loving God-fearing women. They were so excited to have 47 new "sisters" in attendance this year. I loved that they immediately saw me as "family."

The moment I took my seat in the chapel sanctuary, I knew the feeling. I felt "at home." I sat amongst women off all ages, all shapes, and all colors. Each one was different and unique. Yet each one was a Military Wife (a Mil-spouse as my blogger friend calls it) and a christian. We sang songs of praise to the sound of a simple piano. Hearing all the female voices lifted in unison made me smile. Singing songs that are so familiar in my heart made me cry. I felt a bit foolish, but I knew that each of these women could relate to being new in town just looking for somewhere to belong. We heard the regional PWOC president deliver a wonderful message and then enjoyed a catered lunch (by CHICK-FIL-A no less!!) and some time of fellowship.

I believe I have found my place here in my new city. Its at PWOC every Thursday morning from 9:30-12:00. Thats where I will be...feeling at home. I'll be in worship, fellowship, bible study and prayer with these new sisters. Finally, Northern VA is beginning to feel "just right." At least I hope so :-)


1 comment: