Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book Recommendation

I've never made a book recommendation on my blog before, but I am finding the one I am currently reading to be SO good, that I feel I owe it to you to recommend it...

I am in the middle of reading The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears. It is a non-biased book that was written to educate parents about the vaccines the AAP recommends for our children. In the past, I have vaccinated my children 100% based on the recommendation of my pediatricians. I would sign the forms, they'd inject my kids, I'd wait my 10 minutes to see if they had a reaction and then I was out the door with my child and a handout about the vaccine we just received and its possible side effects. I never read those sheets. Most often, they'd lay in my car, or in the bottom part of the stroller until I eventually just threw them away.

Neither of my children ever had an adverse reaction to a vaccine. I have no reason to NOT want to vaccinate.

I am simply reading this book because I want to learn more about the diseases these vaccines aim to prevent as well as the vaccines themselves.

I cannot tell you how informative this book has been! It goes through 12 of the vaccines we commonly give our children and tells you about the disease including the severity of it and the rarity of it, and then goes through how the vaccine is made and how effective it is. It gives you reasons why parents choose to give the vaccine and why some parents choose not to give the vaccine.

I am all for moms making informed decisions when it comes to their children. This was one area where I had never bothered to do the research. All I can say is that I am SO glad I'm reading this book now :-)

Baby No.3 will still be vaccinated. But he will be vaccinated differently than my other two children because of what I am learning. If you've got a baby at home or if you're going to be having a baby in your home, please think about reading this book.

Its full of great information and it is very well written!

So, that is my $0.02 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment