Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Home Stretch

I am now 35 1/2 weeks pregnant.

My midwife told me yesterday that if labor started from this point forward, they wouldn't do anything to try and stop it.

To, me, that means the final countdown is on!

I am now trying to enjoy my last few pregnant weeks. Some days are easier to enjoy than others. It is really all in my mind though.

When I stop to realize that these last weeks are probably the last weeks I will EVER be pregnant, I get a little sad. And in less of a hurry to "get it over with."

I am trying to enjoy each movement from within my belly. Those movements that make me laugh as I can feel the individual feet (or small parts) poking out on the my right side. And the ones that make me wince in pain as I feel his head slam down against my cervix. Ouch! And of course, the reoccurring hiccups in my lower left abdomen that seem to happen each time I try and fall asleep.

I have to laugh at myself whenever I get up from laying down these days because each time, the change from laying down to standing up makes me feel the instant need to pee. Combine that with the stiffness in my legs and hips and I must be quite a site as I stand up and immediately limp to the bathroom. (2-3 times a night!)

But I am relishing the times that I can lay down and rest.

Lately, I take a nap every day when D takes a nap. My sweet C plays quietly in the living room or playroom as I snooze on the couch. I don't know how I'd make it through the day without these naps. I know they are numbered though. I wonder how I am going to make it through the days when the baby arrives and I can no longer grab a nap each afternoon.

I am also trying to enjoy the moments with my "big" kids. Today I took them to Moe's for lunch...just because I could. It is their very favorite place to eat. B and I don't really care for it, but they love it. In a month or less, I will not be able to spoil my "big" kids and take them to their favorite place for lunch by myself.

In fact, I'm not sure how long it will take before I even feel I can leave the house with all 3 children by myself. I am hoping I'll adapt sooner than I think I will. I am also hoping baby N will be an easy going little guy that goes with the flow and enjoys being lulled to sleep in the baby carrier I plan on wearing him in. (That I finally was able to order this morning!)

Part of me is beginning to freak out a bit because of all the things that are still up in the air. I don't really know exactly who will watch C and D when I go into labor. I have some wonderful gals lined up, but as to who is available at that exact moment, I don't know yet. I need to finish packing the bag for the baby and I need to start packing a bag for myself. I need to install the car-seat. The bigger I get, the more daunting crawling in the van to rearrange all our seats is going to be. I better do that now before I get any less "nimble." And of course, I don't have any idea when the baby will make his debut. I am praying it is sometime AFTER April 7th. B is out of town until then.

I am throwing C a birthday party on April 9th and then her real birthday is on the 17th. I'd love it if the baby didn't come on either one of those days either. I know the Lord has each moment of this birth planned out, so I am not really worried about any of this.

Just anxious to figure out how it is all going to go.

And then I am very much looking forward to spending about 48 hours in the hospital when I have the baby. I am going to savor the nurses that are there to help me. Savor the quietness when the baby sleeps and I can rest.

I know these 48 hours or so will be the last "restful" hours I may get for a while. Unless this baby holds out and doesn't come until my actual due date when we have family coming in town to help us, coming home is going to be anything but relaxing and peaceful.

It will just be me and B. And I will have just had a baby. And we still have our other two kiddos to take care of. And this new little newborn.

This is why the hospital is appealing to me :-)

Anyway, join me as I countdown the last weeks. I am enjoying them. The baby is no longer up in my ribs making me terribly uncomfortable. I am used to peeing each time I cough and sneeze. I am used to rubbing oil on my belly twice a day. I am used to wearing sweatpants every day. And although I can't wait to meet my youngest son, I am not really ready to be done being pregnant.

I am still enjoying life as I know it.

Which I know will never again be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment